12 Surprising Statistics About Earned Media
Earned media is one of the fastest growing forms of marketing, and there’s a good reason why. Consumers are general tuning out, or have technology to block, advertisements or paid media. And they trust earned media messages significantly more than brand advertising or owned media. Earned media, as you may remember, is essentially word of mouth marketing. It can come from your customers, your audience, or industry influencers. If you’re not leveraging earned media in your marketing strategy right now, perhaps these 12 statistics from around the web will change your mind.
- There are approximately 2.4 billion brand-related conversations every day in the United States alone. Just think about what this means if you’re a global company.
- The average consumer mentions specific brand names in conversations 60 times per week.
- 82% of consumers proactively seek referrals from peers before making a purchase.
- According to a Nielsen report, 83% of consumers trust digital word-of-mouth more than content produced directly by advertisers. This is a trend that been increasing over the past few years. Much of this is due to the increased usage in social media and the number of channels and options. There are now influencers on every channel and they represent every major niche. Leveraging these influencers can help you broaden your reach, help your audience connect with your brand, and provide the social proof customers need to trust you.
- Instagram packs the biggest buzz in the earned media world. This single channel generates 95 million posts per day. People are posing with their latest purchase, from coffee drinks to Prada bags, and everything in between.
- 63% of adults online actively talk about products or services.
- A further 81% read what other people have posted about these products. This makes it easy to see why so many marketers are spending more time, energy, and money on this form of marketing.
- More than 35% of people online using adblockers. You have to find a different way to reach your audience.
- 25-40% of all traffic and lead generation comes from earned media.
- Brands that leverage earned media can see conversion rates of 5% or more, compared to around 1% for traditional media.
- In the retail world, 78% of consumers are influenced by social media when making a purchasing decision.
- Influencer marketing was rated as the fastest-growing customer acquisition channel in a survey of 125 online marketers.
Ready to add earned media to your marketing strategy yet? It’s time. Start looking for ways to connect with influencers, build your audience, and promote your content. Earned media is the marketing wave of the future.