- Three young, healthy, vibrant, athletic individuals present their ordeals of getting lung cancer from indoor radon, a little-known environmental health threat
- The 2018 AARST International Radon Symposium is providing these three survivors the platform to warn others about the need to test for indoor radon
- Radon is the no. 1 leading cause of lung cancer among non-smokers and is responsible for about 21,000 lung cancer deaths every year
MYRTLE BEACH, S.C., September 5, 2018 (Newswire.com) - This year, the American Association of Radon Scientists and Technologists (AARST) is thrilled to announce three very important keynote speakers for its 2018 International Radon Symposium in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, on Sept. 30-Oct. 3. All three presenters survived radon-induced lung cancer and now work as advocates to educate the public about radon, the number one cause of lung cancer in non-smoking individuals. Each speaker is a never-smoker who was living a very active and healthy lifestyle when diagnosed with lung cancer.
- Rachael Drazan-Malmberg is a former collegiate and Olympic-level athlete, mother, advocate and lung cancer survivor at the age of 32. She coaches, volunteers and advocates to prevent lung cancer.
- Kimberly Buchmeier was diagnosed with non-small cell adenocarcinoma lung cancer at age 37. “My dream home was making me sick and I didn’t even know it!” She now works towards including radon risk messages in health care advocacy.
- Matt Ellefson, in the midst of a successful business career and a happy family, was diagnosed with lung cancer at age 47. As a survivor, he advocates for cancer patients and founded SURVIVEiT®, “the world’s first and only non-profit cancer care rating resource.“
The AARST International Radon Symposium™ and Trade Show attracts from around the world hundreds of attendees and over 100 presenters, manufacturers and vendors. Join us in Myrtle Beach to hear new voices of radon-induced lung cancer survival woven throughout the symposium. Attendees will be inspired by how their diagnosis and recovery shifted personal passions to an action plan. Attendees will step away with new tools to increase testing and mitigation in their community.
My dream home was making me sick and I didn't even know it!
Kimberly Buchmeier, Keynote Speaker at 2018 AARST International Radon Symposium
In addition to hearing these inspiring stories of surviving cancer, attendees will discover new directions for radon policy, emerging technical advances in measurement and mitigation, and cutting-edge radon science and research. The program will deliver a balance of training and discussion, with daily social events providing time to network and unwind. The trade show will present more than 50 radon- and business-related companies offering useful and interesting products and services.
Click here for AARST Press Resources.
Source: American Association of Radon Scientists and Technologists