New Book Sheds Light on Informed Consent and What Women Can Experience When They Use the Birth Control Shot
HALIFAX, Nova Scotia, November 7, 2017 (Newswire.com) - Traci Johnstone of Nova Scotia and Dr. Poppy Daniels of Missouri, USA recently released a book called THE DANGERS OF DEPO, THE WORLD’S MOST DANGEROUS BIRTH CONTROL. The book is about what the authors call “the dangers, even potentially lethal effects, of the injectable birth control.” THE DANGERS OF DEPO is packed with helpful information on depo, non-hormonal family planning options, women’s stories and tips on how to restore healthy hormones. The authors call the book “a must-read for women considering using depo, those that have used it, as well as those caring for and counseling women.”
“This is an important book for women. Depo has been portrayed as a safe form of birth control but the truth is, women around the world are suffering the effects of this drug every day. Most women haven’t been informed of the side effects, black box warning, withdrawal and post-use reactions prior to using it which poses many questions around informed consent.” – Traci Johnstone
Cited findings about depo:
- Multiple studies since the 1990s have suggested that depo usage may increase risk of HIV acquisition, most recently in a systematic review published in November 2016. (1)
- Depo has been associated with an increased breast cancer risk. (2)
- Depo acts as a steroid drug in the body, which can cause immunosuppression and increased risk for infections like HIV. (3)
- The FDA has had concerns about bone loss since 2004 when they placed a black box warning on the drug for that risk. (4)
This is an important book for women. Depo has been portrayed as a safe form of birth control but the truth is, women around the world are suffering the effects of this drug every day. Most women haven't been informed of the side effects, black box warning, withdrawal and post-use reactions prior to using it which poses many questions around informed consent.
Johnstone and Daniels have come together to help women understand the dangers of the drug, help those negatively affected understand what happened to their bodies and to provide tips on how to recover. Johnstone, an entrepreneur, took the drug in 2010 and has suffered the effects ever since. Daniels, an Obstetrician/Gynecologist has seen the effects first-hand with her patients. Both are passionate about raising awareness.
THE DANGERS OF DEPO, THE WORLD’S MOST DANGEROUS BIRTH CONTROL is available at www.dangersofdepo.ca, Amazon, Kindle and Kobo.
For more information please contact:
Traci Johnstone T: (902) 579-2233 E: email@example.com
Poppy Daniels, MD T: (417) 633-4566 E: firstname.lastname@example.org
(1) “An updated systematic review of epidemiological evidence on hormonal contraceptive methods and HIV acquisition in women.” http://journals.lww.com/aidsonline/Citation/2016/11130/An_updated_systematic_review_of_epidemiological.13.aspx
(2) "Effect of depo-medroxyprogesterone acetate on breast cancer risk among women 20 to 44 years of age." https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22369929#
(3) “Hormonal contraception and HIV-1 infection: medroxyprogesterone acetate suppresses innate and adaptive immune mechanisms. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23354099
(4) Food and Drug Administration. https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2004/20246s025lbl.pdf
Source: THE DANGERS OF DEPO