Join In, as the Truth About Drugs Spreads Worldwide
With drug abuse pandemic, reversing it requires a global solution—a solution like Foundation for a Drug-Free World.
LOS ANGELES, March 15, 2018 (Newswire.com) - Los Angeles, California, March 15, 2018 (Newswire) -There is a story behind every Drug-Free World volunteer and why they do what they do.
One former heroin and cocaine addict, who supported his habit by stealing and dealing, wanted to make up for the damage he’d done.
One who saw heroin destroy his brother wanted to make sure kids didn’t fall into that same abyss.
One is a mother who was shocked when a teen from her neighborhood died at a pharm party—the 15-year-old boy and his friends got high on drugs they pooled from their families’ medicine chests.
Each person’s story is different, but they all agree with the urgency of spreading the truth about drugs. And each week, new chapters of the Foundation for a Drug-Free World form up and initiate activities using the Foundation's Truth About Drugs program.
Recent additions to the international network of volunteers include:
- The Philippines, where new groups have formed up and national police who have trained on the curriculum are delivering drug education throughout the nation’s schools
- The states of Mexico and Baja Sur, where hundreds of teachers provide the program to their students
- Guinea, where volunteers hand out booklets in the street
- Barletta, Italy, where 150 members of the national referee association have trained on the program
- Romania, where volunteers are delivering drug education lectures in schools and are training local police
- Algeria, where teams of university students are holding workshops and signing up more volunteers
- Kenya, where a social worker is delivering drug education lectures
- India, where volunteers set up a booth and a drug-free pledge for kids to sign at a local health fair.
Anyone wishing to set up a chapter or partner with the Foundation should visit the Drug-Free World website or call the Foundation: From within the U.S. call (888) NO-TO-DRUGS or (888) 668-6378. From outside the U.S., call 001 (818) 952-5260.
The Foundation for a Drug-Free World is a nonprofit public benefit corporation that empowers youth and adults with factual information about drugs so they can make informed decisions to live drug-free.
Drug-Free World partners with civic and nongovernmental organizations including more than 1,200 police departments in the United States. Through its worldwide network of volunteers and partnerships, it has distributed more than 104 million copies since the booklets were first published in 2006.
The Church of Scientology and its members support the Foundation for a Drug-Free World. Thanks to this support, the Foundation provides drug education booklets, videos and educator guides free of charge to teachers, mentors and civic and community leaders.
Categories: Substance Abuse