MINNEAPOLIS, February 2, 2022 (Newswire.com) - National School Counseling Week this year is Feb. 7-11, 2022. National-School-Counseling-Week is sponsored by the American School Counselor Association (ASCA).
School counselors have a significant role in students' lives, making impacts on school and future success. "Having worked as a school-based therapist for more than 10 years in the public school systems, I have a tremendous appreciation for school counselors," said Charlotte Johnson, Mental Health Professional and Clinical Supervisor at CARE Counseling. Minnesota school counselors have some of the greatest demands compared to other schools in the nation.
While the national averages are one school counselor per 470 students, data from The Center for Advanced Studies in Child Welfare (CASCW) research state ratios report revealed that Minnesota's school counselor to student ratio was one of the worst in the nation at one counselor per 734 students. This far exceeds the ASCA recommendations of one counselor per 250 students.
Some of the things a school counselor does:
- Spending time with students in visible areas such as the classrooms, hallways, and offices with doors open as sources of supports
- Helping students navigate options with job/career and college readiness and assisting with test administration
- Working with educators, administration, and leadership to provide student support, attend meetings, coordinate services, and working together to address issues such as racial and economic achievement gaps
- Addressing school disciplinary incidents and promoting positive pro-social behavior
- Providing education and preventative care support for concerns such as bullying, school safety, sexual health, mental health, and substance use
- Providing school counseling support to students, including group supports, special education/ learning supports, and referrals to community partners for longer-term services
- Coordinating care with students and parents/ guardians to access resources and supports to address student needs to facilitate learning.
CARE Counseling is bringing awareness and hope that the community will take time this week to thank a school counselor who has been impactful.
A special note to school counselors could include: "We would love to fill your bucket to help provide support in a therapeutic space. As you care for others, we also CARE about you."
CARE Counseling offers one-hour talk therapy services in Minnesota for all ages. Clients can schedule online by visiting care-clinics.com or by calling (612) 223-8898.
Source: CARE Counseling