Atlanta Wake-Up Call: Women in Business, Women of Color
U.S. Women's Chamber of Commerce to hold roundtable in Atlanta, Georgia to review findings and issues uncovered in the "Wake-Up Call: Opportunity Lost" report on women-owned and women of color-owned businesses.
Atlanta, GA, February 24, 2016 (Newswire.com) - Today, the U.S. Women’s Chamber of Commerce (http://uswcc.org) announces, “Wake-Up Call: Women in Business, Women of Color” roundtable to be held on February 26, 2016 from 10:00 am to 12:30 pm in Atlanta, Georgia. Women, women of color, resource providers and other supporters of women in business are invited to attend.
This meeting is part of a national series of roundtables to be held across the United States to address the findings of the “Wake-Up Call” report issued by the U.S. Women’s Chamber of Commerce which includes data from the recently released 2012 U.S. Census Survey of Business Owners.
The U.S. Women’s Chamber of Commerce found the following important and alarming data on Georgia women business owners:
- Georgia women own 40.49% of all Georgia firms but generate just 4.80% of all revenues.
- 77.12% of all Georgia women-owned firms have revenues of less than $25,000.
- `Only 2.73% of Georgia women-owned firms have revenues over $500,000 compared with 10.01% of Georgia male-owned firms.
- Compare these statistics with male-owned businesses which represent 51.68% of all Georgia firms and generate 28.77% of all revenues.
"Georgia women business owners, women of color are working together to advance the policies and resources needed to generate increased revenues for our businesses,"
The statistics for Georgia women of color are equally as challenging:
- Black or African American women own 40.77% of all Georgia women-owned firms but secure just 7.33% of the revenues and average just $21,980 in annual revenues.
- Hispanic women own 6.37% of all Georgia women-owned firms but secure just 2.89% of the revenues and average just $55,564 in annual revenues.
- Compare these statistics with those of White Georgia women-owned firms: White women own 51.45% of all Georgia women-owned firms and secure 83.32% of the revenues and average $198,115 in annual revenues.
“The obstacles to growth facing women business owners – most dramatically women-of color owned businesses – are negatively impacting their business revenues and profits,” states Margot Dorfman, CEO of the U.S. Women’s Chamber of Commerce. “These struggles translate into massive opportunity losses for business owners, their employees, families and communities. It behooves every American to call upon political, governmental and business leaders to take action to open the doors to opportunity for women-owned firms.”
“Georgia women business owners, women of color are working together to advance the policies and resources needed to generate increased revenues for our businesses,” states Bukie Opanuga, President of Modavate an Atlanta based digital marketing firm and Regional Champion for U.S. Women’s Chamber of Commerce | Georgia (Atlanta Region). “This is an important political season for women and women of color. That's why we are working together to promote greater access to capital, markets, education and resources, and affordable childcare. When American incomes and women-owned business revenues grow we all benefit. Consumer spending will expand and elevate opportunities for all."
Those interested in attending this and future meetings, may register at the U.S. Women’s Chamber of Commerce website.
About The U.S. Women's Chamber of Commerce (USWCC)
The USWCC is the leading advocate for women on economic and leadership issues. As the economic leader for women, the USWCC creates opportunities, drives progress, advocates, and provides tools and solutions to support the economic growth of women across America. On December 3, 2015, the U.S. Women's Chamber of Commerce has endorsed Hillary Clinton for the 2016 Presidential race; the first presidential endorsement ever for the association. The USWCC is a not-for-profit 501(c)6 organization founded in 2001 with over 500,000 members; its headquarters offices are located in Washington, D.C. Contact the USWCC at 888-418-7922.