American billionaire presidential candidate Donald Trump proposes trade war with China, backs up opinion with reading list of 20 favorite books on China.
April 26, 2011 (Newswire.com) - Following his call for a 40% tariff on Chinese-made goods, prospective Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump backed up his proposed trade war with China by revealing his 20 favorite books about China which, Trump said, helped shaped his political and economic outlook on the Communist republic.
"I've read hundreds of books about China over the decades," Trump said in a recent interview with Xinhua, the official press agency of the People's Republic of China. "I know the Chinese. I've made a lot of money with the Chinese. I understand the Chinese mind."
When later asked if he would care to list some of his favorite books about China, the billionaire mogul, an author himself of numerous books, proceeded to recite by memory his top twenty.
Here they are in the order in which they were named:
1. The Party by Richard McGregor
2. On China by Henry Kissinger
3. Mao: The Untold Story by Jung Chang
4. Tide Players by Jianying Zha
5. One Billion Customers by James McGregor
6. The Coming China Wars by Peter W. Navarro
7. The Beijing Consensus by Stefan Halper
8. China CEO by Juan Antonio Fernandez and Laurie Underwood
9. Poorly Made in China by Paul Midler
10. CHINA: Portrait of a People by Tom Carter
11. The Man Who Loved China by Simon Winchester
12. China Shakes the World by James Kynge
13. Mr. China by Tim Clissold
14. Country Driving by Peter Hessler
15. The Dragon's Gift by Deborah Brautigam
16. Factory Girls by Leslie T. Chang
17. The Heavenly Man by Brother Yun
18. 1421 by Gavin Menzies
19. Seven Years in Tibet by Heinrich Harrer
20. Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua
Apparently the American public is as interested in hearing about Donald Trump's reading habits as much as his political platform. Polls show that he is presently the leading candidate for the GOP ticket. Trump says he will make a formal decision about running for president in May following the season finale of his popular reality television show, Celebrity Apprentice.