Benefits of Pitching to Your Local Radio Stations
When pitching to the media most businesses focus their attention on print and television media. And that makes sense. Print and television can have a wide reach and national coverage. However, if you’re not pitching to local radio, you may be missing out on some valuable and often overlooked benefits.
– Local radio stations have very loyal audiences.
If you listen to the radio, think about how many different stations you listen to.
Chances are, you listen to just a few. Listeners know the hosts well. This earns trust and likeability. When your story is covered by their trusted radio reporter or host, they are going to extend some of that trust and likeability to you. It’s akin to an endorsement and it can really help you grow your business.
– Radio stations love to talk about local businesses. It’s a great way to show their support! Reach your local audience in a way that you never have. Unless independent, local radio stations are usually owned by larger corporations. Hence why you can potentially have your news story reach beyond a local audience. Who knows? Other corporate stations may pick up your news.
Credibility and Authority
– If a local radio station covers your story, you earn a bit of credibility and authority. Hence why on the reporter or journalist covering your story, news coverage can be perceived as an endorsement. And we’re talking about local media, that endorsement can go a long way to getting people to make a buying decision. We buy from people we trust and believe to be experts. You earn that when local radio talks about you.
– You can earn relationships with local radio and other local media representatives. This can be tremendously helpful in the future. Therefore, you have local media behind your company, it boosts your brand and your profits.
Increased Traffic, and Sales
– Assuming you position your story well, you should see an increase in website traffic as people strive to learn more about you.
This means not forgetting to include a call to action in your story and to give listeners some next steps to take.
It also means providing a seamless process once they arrive at your website, so they take the next steps with you and become a qualified lead or a customer.
Local radio is often overlooked, yet it can be a powerful media channel to leverage. You gain relationships, traffic, brand awareness, and the perceived endorsement of the hosts or reporters who talk about you.