The Gertrude & Louis Feil Cancer Center is the only one on Long Island equipped with the Varian Novalis Tx™, da Vinci® Surgical System and Gamma Knife® Perfexion.
December 8, 2012 (Newswire) - The American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer (ACS CoC) has awarded a three-year accreditation with commendation to the Gertrude & Louis Feil Cancer Center at South Nassau Communities Hospital.
South Nassau earned the accreditation with commendation following a rigorous on-site evaluation by an ACS CoC surveyor to confirm that South Nassau is in compliance and deserving of commendation in each of the ACS CoC's seven standards (the corresponding comment next to each standard is from the CoC's Accredited Cancer Program Performance Report for South Nassau Communities Hospital:
• Outcomes analysis (South Nassau presented an "excellent" annual report with an outcomes study);
• Abstracting timeframe (100% of abstracts South Nassau reviewed were completed within six months);
• Meeting National Cancer Data Base quality criteria (data for 2007, 2008, and 2009 were submitted by South Nassau without error);
• Compliance with College of American Pathologists (CAP) guidelines (100% of reports filed by South Nassau were in CAP compliance and in synoptic format);
• Clinical trial accrual (South Nassau cited for excellent accrual of research patients);
• Cancer-related quality improvements (South Nassau far exceeds the requirement with meaningful improvements);
• Prevention and early detection (South Nassau offers numerous prevention and early detection programs to the communities it serves each year).
"We feature a team of accomplished, experienced medical, radiation, and surgical oncologists. They use advanced diagnostic, medical, radiation, and surgical oncology technologies and treatments to treat a wide range of cancers," said Rajiv Datta, MD, medical director of the Gertrude & Louis Feil Cancer Center and chief of surgical oncology.