The Junior League of Arlington has announced the board of directors for the 2014-15 year led by President Jeannie Deakyne. Deakyne, a former Army officer, is the first military veteran to lead the organization in its 40 year history.
May 30, 2014 (Newswire) - The Junior League of Arlington has announced the board of directors for the 2014-15 year led by President Jeannie Deakyne.
Joining Deakyne is a group of women with a variety of personal, educational and professional backgrounds who share the organization's commitment to community service. They are:
• Emily Swanson of Arlington, president-elect;
• Andrea Powers of Arlington, communications vice president;
• Valerie Landry of Arlington, community vice president;
• Jenene Schaffer of Arlington, finance vice president;
• Theresa Austin of Arlington, fund development vice president;
• April Pettitt of Arlington, membership vice president;
• Misty Lockhart of Grand Prairie, member at large;
• Bree Butler of Arlington, nominating committee chair
• Shelly Osten of Arlington, parliamentarian;
• Lyndsay Mitchell of Arlington, recording secretary;
• Lynda Sherrieb of Arlington, sustaining advisor; and
• Sabra Ellis of Arlington, sustainer representative
Deakyne and the board of directors will lead the organization in addressing the toughest challenges related to women and children across North Texas.
"June 1st will kick off a Junior League focus on hands-on, short-term volunteer partnerships with community groups and nonprofits in Arlington, Mansfield, Grand Prairie and the Mid-Cities" said Deakyne. "With 500 members, we are very committed to meeting the needs of our community — responsively and with lasting impact," she said.
Deakyne joined the Junior League of Bell County, Texas in 2005 while she was serving as an Army officer stationed at Fort Hood. She transferred to the Junior League of Arlington in 2008 and has served in several leadership positions including communications vice president, fund development vice president, membership vice president and president-elect. She resides in Arlington with her husband, Will, and is the Manager of Learning and Development for the University of Texas at Arlington.
For more information about the Junior League of Arlington, or to inquire about becoming a member, visit the web site at jlarlington.org